Thesis – Future DSO – Smart grid Modelling.
“How is the energy transition going to impact the grid?”
Decarbonization, digitalization and decentralization are the three Ds that see energy transition accelerate. It also means that many new technologies and behaviors are rapidly shifting from becoming considered emerging trends to becoming integral parts of the energy system. The electrical grid, which can be seen as the enabler of this energy transition, connecting new types of generation and enabling fossil free transportation for example, has to adapt to this quickly changing pace. The business of the DSO will be affected by these disruptive factors, and in order to be able to react on time, it is important to understand and foresee the impacts these factors will have on the grid, both expectations and needs from its users.
The goal of this thesis is to build forecasting models that allow DSO to understand the impacts these disrupting factors will have on grid and the changes required in order to accommodate for these impacts.
Scope of the thesis (30HP)
We would like the student to:
1. Study which impact factors connected to the three Ds will mostly affect the grid and how to quantify their growing impact based on known factors and sources such as forecasted price and state forecast
2. Create forecasting models capable of simulating the stress these impact factors will have on the grid (at different level, local grid, regional grid) in order to provide quantified and illustrative results
3. Validate your models using real data and/or against other models if possible
What else do I need to know?
- This master thesis is done with Vattenfall R&D in cooperation with Vattenfall Eldisitribution.
- The base location for this work will be at Vattenfall R&D in Solna near Stockholm
This work requires some knowledge in power system and especially power flow simulations, but also some knowledge in mathematics and modelling.
We see you as a student with a interests in the energy sector, especially smart grids and grid analytics and with strong communication skills. It is meritorious if you have good knowledge of Python.
Swedish is not required but we appreciate if you intend on learning it during your thesis.
CV, cover letter, and grades are to be submitted in the application.
The interview process will be ongoing, as soon as relevant applicants are identified.
Deadline for application: 2019-11-29.
Do not hesitate to contact us for any questions:
Dela detta jobb